Monday, May 21, 2007

Operation Fuzzy Toes

How do you like the title? Me and my good buddy Melissa are going to knit a pair of socks for a girl at our work who's having a hard time in her personal life lately. And this girl has got the sweetest Christian spirit you could ever hope to have and the best disposition around so she definitely deserves some hand knit socks! We had both been wanting to do something for her. I was thinking prayer shawls and the like, but Melissa thought about knitting a pair of socks for her with each of us knitting a sock. I thought that was a great idea, as socks to me are the ultimate comfort gift. You have to treat hand knit socks with care, they are always the most comfortable of all socks, and are very close and intimate-- just like a good friendship. Besides the fact on a practical note, we won't end up with the dreaded second-sock-syndrome. I think the title of our undertaking is great, too. Don't hand knit socks just give you the warm fuzzies????? We're using some Moda-Dea cartwheel yarn. We both completed our swatches today and we're going to compare tomorrow. I can't wait to get started on this project!

On other notes, my wonderful husband and myself had a great day. We were both off for the day, so we decided to head over to Virginia Highlands and have a great early lunch-we went to a restaurant called Murphy's which is a local legend kind of place whose shrimp salad sandwich is to die for! Also, conveniently, my favorite yarn shop, Knitch, is right around the corner. I know that you're asking yourself, did have a hidden agenda when I suggested eating at Murphy's. YES. Can I help it if my darling husband was all for hopping over to Va. Highlands to eat? That's what I thought!!!!!-and Steve was able to get a new golf glove while we were out, so he benefited from the outing too. I was able to pick up the Debbie Bliss book "Junior Knits ", some new Lantern Moon needles, and the Lantern Moon Basket/bag with the drawstring top. I have been wanting that bag for a long time now, but every time I visited the yarn shop I ended buying so much yarn that I didn't feel like I should by the bag. Today, however, I didn't buy any yarn (no, I'm not high on crack-I just have so much great yarn waiting for me on all my projects I couldn't justify buying any more. However, a knitter can never do without some good Lantern Moons to replace the aluminum ones she has-I do however now regret not buying any yarn if it makes you feel better about me as a knitter), so it was a perfect time to buy the bag. And once I got home, Makenzie and Nick were both able to pick out sweater patterns in the Debbie Bliss book that they liked for me to knit for them this fall. Mak picked out the Cassie pattern and Nick picked out the Woody pattern. Maybe I'll get those done by December? We'll see!
Here's some eye candy for this post. It's the view from our condo in Orange Beach, AL. I took the picture last New Year's eve and it's one of my utmost favorites. Hope you enjoy.
May your knitting be memorable and your contributions great this week!

3 comments:

theyarnwhisperer said...

Hey, Bit, I wonder if we could get some type of thing going with other girlfriends who knit socks where each could knit a sock and they could donate the pair to Bosnian orphan children (I'm not being sarcastic, I actually knit some socks for the Bosnian orphans through the socknitters.com website). Hook up some people who could use some socks with girlfriends who love to knit socks. Its a win-win-win situation. What do you think?

theyarnwhisperer said...

I've got 7 rows for 1.25 inches. Just to let you know.

Calicoknits said...

Hey Bit, Thanks for a good day today. I see where your time is going now. I'll play along with the sock parade if you like. I hate doing second socks. Get with Duch & let me know.