Thursday, May 17, 2007

Miss Dashwood is getting the best of me!!!

Well, I'm making my second Miss Dashwood hat from Knitty and it seems yet again it's going to be too big for the intended recipient ( a 5 month old baby girl cousin with the hat made in the 3-6 mos size). I made the first one from some cheaper yarn I had got at Hobby Lobby just for a run through and hey, if it ended up looking great then it could be the actual hat I would give to said recipient. I even whipped out my hand-dandy WPI tool just to compare the Hobby Lobby yarn with my treasured Debbie Bliss. And yes, before everyone out there asks did I make a gauge swatch, yes I DID!!!! Anyway, because the pattern calls for P4 thru the back and some other such nonsense to make the bobbles I didn't want to use any of my sumptuous Debbie Bliss cashmerino just to mess up. I had never tried bobbles before and SURPRISE! SURPRISE! (can everyone out there hear Gomer Pyle?) the bobbles weren't my trouble... but the ever lovin', for all that's holy freakin' gauge. ( I even rechecked the gauge during the knitting it.) The hat ended up being big enough to fit my 7 year old son. Now, I know most of you are asking how did I get a pink, frilly hat on my super cool, Heely-wearing, total boyish boy? Well, I had to sneak up behind him and pop it on his head, just to make sure that I wasn't delusional in thinking that the thing would fit a wee 5 month old head. I wasn't delusional, sigh. And my Nick-knack will be probably be looking over his shoulder for his crazy, but not delusional, mom for awhile to come.
Anywho, I'm determined to make this hat for said infant. It is the cutest hat!!! But this time I'm using Crystal Palace's Bunny Hop yarn which is a smaller gauge yarn ( I guess I'm saving my Debbie Bliss yarn for all of posterity, when I probably should use it and shazam! the gauge would probably magically come full circle) I'm also using a smaller gauge needle as well. Has anyone out there had good luck with their Miss Dashwood? Let me know.

Well here's some eye candy I took with my favorite Christmas present ever. The DH got me a Canon Powershot S3 IS. I just love this picture. Hope you all enjoy and Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

theyarnwhisperer said...

Ok Bit, I'm thikning that there is some evil conspiracy behind this Miss Dashwood hat. Perhaps you should knit it bigger and I'll make one and then you and I can have matching Miss Dashwood hats. We can wear them at work. lol. Watcha think?